James Brennan, IT engineer at Precept IT is a bit of a dab hand at hardware repairs. James works on Precept IT’s Belfast helpdesk and gave us his advice when it comes to laptop repairs.
Repairing your laptop computer doesn’t have to be a long and complicated process. There are countless things you can do right away that get help your laptop computer get back up and running in no time at all. Here are some basic tips and tricks to help you with your next laptop computer repair situation occurs.
First, take a look at the environment you are doing your laptop computer repair in. Static electricity is, believe it or not, the enemy here. You want to work in an environment that is free of static electricity before you start opening up any parts of your laptop computer. (In other words, don’t open up your laptop while on a carpet, etc.)
Next, just like anything else in computer repair, you want to be sure you backup your files so as to not lose them.
Always remember that when it comes to laptop computer repair:
- Don’t disassemble any laptop if it doesn’t need to.
- Be sure you’re using the right tools.
- Stay away from anything that can cause static electricity.
- Test the laptop properly beforehand.
- Keep any parts you remove in a safe place.
- Keep the screws with the parts they have been taken from.
- Put the right size screws back into parts when it’s time to reassemble it.
- Observe how connectors work before disconnecting them.
- Make notes for yourself if you need to as you pull apart the machine.
- Most importantly, don’t rush through it. You never want to skip steps.